Sunday, July 11, 2010

Field Trip #4-Agriculture Area-Bedner's Fresh Farm Market

During the course of the class, you will embark on self guided field experiences. Each field trip has specific objectives, read through them before embarking on your self-guided trip and comment on what you learned. Provide a reflection of your experience for each field trip. This entry is a personal reflection that should capture how you felt, what you enjoyed, what you may not have enjoyed, etc. What are your impressions of this area? What is your experience growing plants or gardening? Could you grow any of your own food and many people around the world have to do? Include photos and/or drawings.


Bedner’s Fresh Farm market is a local farmers market. The market itself is a medium size, with great options on food at affordable prices.  They grow “romaine lettuce, peppers, cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini, white corn, green beans, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, strawberries, tomatoes, and many fruits.” It is one of the last remaining family farmers markets in South Florida.  In 1950, Arthur and Henrietta Bedner moved to South Florida to start with the farming industry. Today, his three sons and grandson are dedicated farmers “producing the freshest and highest level of quality produce available and delivering it to [us], their valued customers.”  There are U-pick strawberries, when in season.



Entrance to Bedner's Farmers Market
Near the U-pick Area Taken By: Casey Gates
 Some of the Crops





Farmer's Market







More Crop area

Although, strawberries are not in season, I was able to see the U-pick tractor and the area. I think it is great that a local farm, which are suppose to be more expensive than a grocery store, but at Bedner’s Fresh Farmer’s Market is more reasonable than I expected. I always see the sign for Bedner’s Fresh Farmer’s Market, but have never been in. It is in the opposite direction of everywhere my family and I go. Learning about local farmer’s market and how it is better for the environment and bodies.
I have never had my own garden, but I have helped my aunt start her garden, which now grows tomatoes, onions, strawberries, lettuce, and green peppers. I also have helped her pick all the products when they are ready.  I have learned a lot from my aunt and if I had the space and availability, I would grow my own food. I would love to do it now, however, I am living in an apartment, and sign yearly leases.
  


In case You want to have your own Organic Garden:

Pictures from the garden i helped out with:




No comments:

Post a Comment